Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Roots and Strings

Mary S. drives 45 miles into the city from La Grange between Elkhorn and Whitewater. She used to work downtown as a para-legal for a name brand firm. They were trying to turn her into a Republican she told me. Now she works in health care. Less stress; honestly.

Her real work is her homestead and garden. She grows, harvests, dehydrates, cans and freezes. In the non-growing season she studies, plans and prepares. Agri-business will be the death of us.

I try not to argue with my customers. No argument here anyway.

She was born in Lakeland Hospital as was I. She dabbled in Photoshop enough that she was tapped to create the cover art for the 25th anniversary compilation album for Piper Road Spring Band.

Apparently we were sitting together in the Sprague Theater 15 years ago, at one of the stops on the anniversary tour. We did not know that then.

Often I think I’d like to miss the exit, keep going, stop for breakfast, call in sick, or better yet, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment