Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My latest little joke

Occasionally, as I deem appropriate, I tell people that this shuttle job is the kind of job I'd do for free.

And it is. It is right up there in the top three to five gigs I've ever had.

I get a new car a couple times a year.

I do not have a desk, a phone, or a computer login.

I have reasonable autonomy.

I have no one to manage.

I have no one to report to.

When the day is going reasonably well, I am not actually there at the auto dealership.

The time I tell this part of the story is usually on the heels of someone asking me what I did before I retired.  What I think is this: Are you kidding me? It's seven-thirty a.m., I am wearing a tie and driving you downtown in a brand new van with my boss's name on it. How does this look retired to you?

However, I usually take the conversation in the direction of changing word definitions.
"Isn't it funny what retired used to mean?" And, there we go.

And then, one day I heard myself say ...

"This is the kind of job I'd do for free ... and if you look at my check you'd see how close I already am."

That almost always gets the chuckle I'm looking for.

And, as you well know, chuckling is what it's all about.



No comments:

Post a Comment