Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Step away from the latte

He was not the first man from Iran I met in the van. But Reza was in the Iranian Air Force training at Bergstrom Air Base in Austin TX in 1979 when I was there. 

"I did meet some Iranian airmen at a party once at least."
“I was there then."
"Maybe we already met?”

And then the revolution. 

He has plenty of perspective on world politics that he is more than willing to share. Don’t get me wrong - he’s glad to be an American - but he does see that things were different and better here some time ago.

Alyson is in administrative work at an agency helping people with no health insurance. I’m sure there are plenty of stories there. Somehow we started with food. Maybe I was hungry.
We began at soup and the bone broth I started the day before, turned the talk to a morning brew I’ve been tweaking the last couple weeks. I can take coffee or leave it. 

I have also been enjoying Honey Water lately. I’ve read that one should drink lemon water. Or, honey/lemon water. Or apple cider vinegar, or this or that or the other. So, I put them together all on my own. Now, instead of slurping down industrial coffee I have been doing variations on this more often.

This is a recipe of my own device. It’s a place to start.

Heat 4 cups water
1/2 cup honey - stirred into hot water
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 T level turmeric*
1 cinnamon stick
Powdered chipotle
Powdered ginger 
(Add several shakes each - use fresh when possible).

Top off with about 3 C water.
Heat a cup or two and add to your individual mug or tumbler
Add lemon to taste 

I mentioned the Penzys catalog and heard her hum. 

"I was reading a page on chai tea once taking note of the spices and wondering what I had and what I needed. A few moments later I had flipped over to the curry page and was looking at those blends spice by spice. I noticed quite an overlap. I actually have the Sweet Curry blend right here right now."

That’s the story. I mixed some spice blend into hot water. Yum. I even emailed the note to Penzys corporate office hoping to get a spot in the catalog. So far - not.


This is just me and my little fist taking some greater control over my commercial feeding tube. I can think for myself sometimes - at least a little bit. One can educate the taste buds. One can stretch the imagination. 

Put the sugar down.

Step away from the latte. 

…..


*Note: Turmeric does stain and it does not stay long in suspension. Don’t spill. Shake before sipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment