Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A quiet coffee shop

When I met Thomas he had a final paper due for his seminary degree. Rather than serving a congregation he thinks that he’ll be more attuned to his gifts as a Christian coach; most specifically for clergy.

I’ve been thinking about coaching lately and I thought we should have coffee.

On our first trip I did mention that I tell stories I hear in the shuttle. He said he’s got one for me. That’s a first. Usually they flow naturally. He seems to have one all packaged up and ready to go.

Here it is. He is a partner in an arranged marriage; to a Brazilian woman.

“Maybe you could write that up some time.”

Oh, goodness.

I arrived for our coffee date before he did and on his way in to our booth stopped and chatted with a couple at the adjacent table. He knows them from tai chi classes. Small world. He also knows Brian, a long time local tai chi guy I know who also writes poetry. Smaller world.

(Brian and I meet sometimes at Brewed on Brady for a poetry circle. Actually it’s not a circle - it’s a rectangle; the old yellow dining table in the back.)

Oh, goodness.

It turns out that Thomas and I discovered some multi-faceted synergies between us. We may have more work/play to do together.

His wife has just finished the Portuguese translation of her historical religious fiction novel. They will be visiting her family in Brazil and doing a book tour soon. Among other things I will be making a proposal on custom bookmarks for them to take along.

This next Saturday the three of us will meet at what he calls a quiet coffee shop. (As if. There’s a potential miracle story right there.)

“And then,” he says, “we will both tell you the tale of our arranged marriage. She tells a really good version of it.”


I'm thinking about inviting my wife - just to keep it interesting.

Oh, goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment