Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Five Homemade Cookies

Shakira first told me, after spying the GPS map on the dash of the shuttle, that her brother had been her GPS before he moved to Houston. He'd been a cabbie in Milwaukee for over six years. He had told her stories of many of the interesting people he met in the cab. And I told her I understood.

Their father lived in New Orleans and, after Hurricane Katrina they were not able to locate him for almost 7 months. The son went down and found that he'd been relocated to Houston. They both stayed on. She doesn’t have a GPS anymore.

She said her oldest boy is going to MATC and decided to live at home because he can save on rent, get his laundry done and get good food. He told her that. What a good mom.

So, we talked about food. I asked if she made shakshuka and did she put eggs in hers? She does. I said the first time I had it was at the Shahrazad Restaurant on Oakland and Locust and they do not. I'd also gotten the secret to the deal; Arabian Seven Spice. Amazing.

I told her that I had just been to Holy Land Grocery and picked some up from for in the bulk bin. Seven spice reminds me of Thanksgiving spices.

She also told me that she had baked some traditional date-filled cookies for the festival day Eid ul-Fitr after the month-long fast of Ramadan. She called them Ma'amoul. Did I have a minute to wait when I dropped her at home? Yes.

She ran inside and brought me five homemade cookies from her own kitchen. Amazing.

Yes. There are only 4.33 cookies showing. I couldn't wait.




No comments:

Post a Comment