Sunday, July 22, 2012

Friday Friday Friday

Friday I took Angel to Conejitos. I think I’ve driven him before. He doesn’t speak any English - or that’s what he’d like me to think. And he’s a chatty fellow. He wants to talk - in Spanish - about the relative merits of the Honda and the Hyundai. Which did I think was better? Well, I said, in my passable Spanish, I have never driven either of these so - I don’t have an opinion.

Finally I told him - in Spanish again - that I was sorry, I can’t drive and chat in the second language. Too much thinking. Too tired and hungry.
“¿Porque no comes??
Why don’t I eat?
Driving. Driving. Driving.

When I returned I was dispatched to the airport to pick up Marty at AirTran. I cued his phone number to be ready. Halfway to the airport I get a call from the dealership from another service adviser. Could I also pick up Jason? He’s also coming in on AirTran. I pull over on Grange Ave. and scribble his number down.

I get into the line at the airport and dial Marty. He’s with Tara and they’re coming in from NY/NJ with enough luggage for a wedding in Chenequa. I then dial Jason. And he is with his wife and a baby in a bucket. They have enough luggage for ... I never did find out what. We squeezed the baby bucket into the back seat and mom fastened Addison in. I couldn’t really open my door into traffic so Marty and Jason did all the loading and we all fit - barely. I never did hear the mom’s name. And the baby was the topic for the middle and back seats the whole way.

Marty and Tara had a little time before the rehearsal dinner and wanted to see the Calatrava and “what else?” he asked. Lakefront, Alterra, Marina as long as you’re so close. Or, the river walk and the shops on Broadway and Chicago. Third Ward. That’s what I told him. I do not think I’d like being an airport cabbie.

Both couples were coming in to our rental department. Apparently we have better rates than the airport Enterprise lot.

Before I could get these folks offloaded, Xeng - a Hmong fellow, was getting ready for a ride home. Thank goodness there was only one of him and his English was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment