Thursday, November 13, 2014

Veterans Day Care Giver

Mark was a marine for quite some time and on disability. His spine is turning into a sponge. Spongio-something. He also must have had some neck fusion surgery because it takes his entire torso to turn his head.

“You know, you just never think these things will turn out that way.” he said.

We talked about his service a little bit. He knows I understand that most folks don’t get it. I told him that I did not serve and yet we were able to find agreements.

And he's the sole caregiver for his mother while living in her house. She is 94 now and blind. I can tell he doesn’t like being away even while his car is in for service.

So I mentioned Dry Hooch on Brady and the vet center cafe in the building up at 35th and Wisconsin, is it? He was aware of it and hopes they stay open. It doesn’t seem like he has a mind to visit them. Maybe someday. He knows he needs to get out and stretch his legs and get away from the situation. He needs a caregiver for himself.

I tell him the story of Bernie and Patty, two people I met in similar situations, just a couple weeks ago. 

He thinks the only care for his mother is $200 a day for people who do everything. I’m talking about him getting his own butt out the door a few times a week. I should actually check it out so I know more about it. 

Later that day a fellow employee asks me if it’s alright if we have a chat some time so that she can get some honest input about a life situation. It doesn’t seem like a situation I have much experience in. Apparently I have the right stuff.


Now if I can just follow through and find out what kinds of services are available in the metro area. I need to speak with greater authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment