Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Just showing up


New Year’s Eve Day

The first round trip from the dealer and back, including stops at 35th and National, Layton at Lake Drive, and 116th and Rawson, took 85 minutes on good roads in light year-end morning traffic.

The first gal out was the last back in - 10.5 hours later. And by that time I had logged 184.9 miles around town.

While Pat had packed me some goodies there was no actual lunch time, down time or sitting in any seat that did not include a steering wheel. Every time I walked in the service door at least one of our guys needed me. And given how short staffed we are I didn’t think I could leave. What a silly thought, eh? Perhaps I might have simply posted a sign over the ride board - Out to Lunch - back at 2p.

The driver knows what no other single person knows - the afternoon overview and who is where. Each of our five service advisers knows his own customers and that is about where his interest stops. The driver has to jiggle and juggle the routes to get the customers back in a time frame they’ve been expecting. We’ve got to show up.

I did fetch Mr. B, the sailor from yesterday. His truck stayed overnight. Some sort of tensioner had to come from Chicago. That particular part was not in stock at any other dealer in town.

This time we chatted about airplanes, as well as sailboat racing, and the idea that just showing up was a way to start a career or hobby. Being a part of an airfield or marina will sooner or later get you an invitation or two. It reminds me of the Woody Allen quote about success and showing up.

It was a little more like work to get people to open up today. So. Fine.  I let it be just that. A quieter day. No pushing.

The rumors of the coming snow totals varied widely; from one to nine inches. With the exception of Russell, who thought he’d head over to the movies, not one person was going out on New Year’s Eve. Everyone spoke of looking forward to a quiet time at home. Too many amateurs on the roads.

The high point of this day was meeting Kim Becker. She’s starting her own fitness and wellness coaching practice and she’s got the background for it.

This from the philosophy page of her website: http://kimbecker.vpweb.com

“I am a huge fan of what I like to call “Rocky Training”.  Do you remember some of the training methods Sylvester Stallone’s character used – chasing chickens, walking in knee-deep snow, splitting wood, and throwing around boulders?  Exceptional training does not require expensive equipment.  This is great news for the individual who does not have a lot of space or who travels a lot.  You do not need to own lots of fitness equipment or be a member of a fitness facility in order to achieve and maintain optimal physical wellness.”

So, I met another coach today. I’m making a note of it. While I wrote that the short meeting was the high point, she actually brought me homemade cookies when I dropped her at home. On this long day with no lunch break they were tasty, nutritious and much appreciated, too.

Thank you Kim Becker. And, thank goodness I showed up, eh? So, where are you showing up and is it getting you the success you say you want?

Happy New Year!
Let’s do happy better.


Finally - in the spirit of that exact thing - I came home, we had a lovely little dinner and I rang in the New Year at 8:37 p.m.

.....

“Eighty percent of success is just showing up.” ~ Woody Allen
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/10/showing-up/http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/10/showing-up/

No comments:

Post a Comment